Saturday 24 December 2011

FAQs that I come across in the Netherlands

As a Pakistani woman studying abroad, i come across people who are so intrigued to know about Pakistan and its women. Its actually very nice to explain to people where we come from and to clear their misconceptions. Ofcourse, I tend to find humor in everything and sometimes i just throw in a regular laugh to put the other person at ease. Following are some of the questions that i find most interesting and are regularly asked by my friends and colleagues here in the Netherlands.

Question
My standard answer
If pressed for a more detailed answer
Are you an Indian?
No, Im from Pakistan.
Cant you see that we are different?

But how did your family allow you to live abroad alone if you are from a muslim country?
Well, women are allowed to study abroad or wherever they want to by our religion. If someone is not allowed, that is because of family traditions.

We can always throw a tantrum if we are not given permission ! Simple.

Why don’t you wear a head scarf? All muslim women do.
Well, my religion teaches me a lot of other things that I follow, which I think are more important than just covering your head.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t and I don’t know why, but that is just the way I am !

Are all women suppressed?
No. All women are not suppressed. If they are, that’s more because of our culture than religion.

Do I look like im suppressed?
How many Talibans do you know about?

None, atleast none in my daily life.
None. I wish they could come and see Pakistan and realize what a lively country we have.
Is there a war on streets in Pakistan?
No, not at all. Life is normal.
Except maybe inside a house. Haha !

Do all men have four wives?

No, most men have only one.
I think one wife is quite a handful – but if someone wants to go bald………
How come with your education and family background, you are having an arranged marriage?
Well, in our society, arranged marriages are safer and more reliable than love marriages.
Yes, arranged marriage – Arranged by “ME” – Haha !

Do you live independently or with your parents in Pakistan?

Currently with parents, future with husband.
If I tell my parents that I want to live separately, they will think im nuts or mad at them for something ! Have to ask future husband yet if he can tolerate me in the same house. :D

Why don’t you settle abroad?
Well, I have my scholarship bond and I want to go back to serve my country.
Your country is nice and I love it but I cant help myself when it comes to my heart that lies in Pakistan !



1 comment:

  1. I really loved the way you portrayed the 'popular imagination' people live in, by this example of westerners' view on Pakistan and Pakistanis.

    ReplyDelete