Saturday 10 December 2011

The OTHER frame of reference

I was never a blind supporter of Imran Khan’s slogans of change and revolution, but I had always had expectations of him, ONLY because of his honesty. I had often questioned his not-so-direct criticism of the establishment, wanting him to be clearer in his goals, often questioned his tirade against only the Sharifs , and doubted his steadfastness against the ruling government party itself, or the more dangerous armed thugs in Karachi. I probably still do. A two and a half hour meeting, though, has given me a new perspective on all of that.
I met a Dutch woman who has no personal affiliation with Pakistan to be in awe of Khan for all the non political reasons (cricket, shaukat khanum cancer hospital, namal college, flood relief) a normal Pakistani would be of him. And yet, she supports him enough to actually become a member of Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf in Holland, contributing fully to this small group of people. And that is why, her narrative of Imran Khan is so relevant today, since she stands to neither gain nor lose anything from this battleand has no baggage attached to her.
I had often seen the name Joana (San) Ong appear in any PTI-Holland discussions on facebook, and I used to wonder whether this was just a pen name, or whether she was a dutch married to a Pakistani, having strong ties with Pakistan. I was told she was none,( not in the strictest sense at least). And therefore, not surprising then that it was not Pakistan through which she discovered Imran Khan, but rather it was Khan through whom she discovered Pakistan initially. And she is still in the process of unraveling the mystery that this nation of 180 million is to many westerners like her.
I asked her why and how? Her answer came easy,
 “Justice, equality and self-esteem are words I connect with… And as a woman interested in women rights and a campaigner against discrimination of all sorts, I was attracted to his message… While having a discussion on a face book group on discrimination in general, a gentleman from Pakistan asked me if I had ever heard of Imran Khan. I was surprised to hear of someone from Pakistan, a “terror-infested”, flood stricken poor country, having similar views about equality and justice, …I did some research, watched some of his videos, and I was hooked…”.
It was as simple as that. Joana found in Khan the path to her goal of equality, justice and self esteem-Pakistan becoming her top priority thereafter. 
Joana is yet to understand the complexities of the Pakistani constitution, the role of the president, the prime minister, or probably even how elections take place for the parliament and the senate in Pakistan. But seeing the passion and energy she has for PTI and its goals, it is quite evident that those political nitty gritties are the least of her concerns in her quest for a brighter and self sufficient future for Pakistan. Her goals are clear and her inspiration is steadfast. Though many might consider her as a one-point agenda free mover and doubt her sincerity to the political structure minus the social structure, I believe, being one not directly linked to the Pakistani social dynamics, she is in a perfect position to teach us a few lessons in understanding the ultimate goal that our founding father laid down for us in 1947; a social Islamic Republic.  She might not yet be aware of the see saw of military establishment, political feudals, pirs and mureeds that run Pakistani politics, but that should not even matter in the context of the bigger goal of “Change” that Imran Khan has put his weight behind, for “change” would ultimately cleanse everything.
Though being a political activist who believes in long term social reform ONLY through political institutions (and not just through individual shows of charity) and who thinks politics and society are but two faces of the same coin, the meeting with Joana has shown me how one can even move backwards from the ultimate social spectrum to the initial political basics.  Although some of us might not agree fully with the “political” choice she has made for achieving her social goal, we can at least try looking at Pakistan from her perspective, un wrangling ourselves from the dogmas of the “real-politik”, and then start picking our favourites.


Joana (San) Ong-PTI member (Holland)
 
How many are in for this new “frame of reference” then?
Happy Reading!
 Aisha.

12 comments:

  1. THE HOPES NOW COMLETED I AM WITH YOU DEAR JOANA

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a 'happy' reading indeed!
    Aisha... i will ask u to discontinue engineering and carry on with writing
    will be asking about u from sana

    wish all three of u good luck

    Mahmood Sadiq, Lahore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahmood: Stay tuned for more. We have a lot of ideas and i know Aisha and Asma are both very strong writers. What makes their writings special to me is their honest love for Pakistan and not-blind following of PTI. This is what our purpose is: to rationally review everything, be critical where needed and give appreciation where its due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you Joanna !!!!!!! I guess I ll take you in my next talk show......... keep the spirit high, we all love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats greatm i also did along chat with joana, and amazed that she know alot about our politics and she really care about pakistan and she like imran khan bc she think that imran is the hope for better pakistan,
    i love to work in group of joana and aisa.thanks to be with me.
    Yawar Abbas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very proud of you my dear friend Joana San because of your feelings & honor for our Country & our Nation. Please go ahead you will find me always with you...........God Bless You.
    Your Friend,
    Fayyaz Butt

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Joana for a long time, and she is a great person, i support this cause 100%, we in Latin America have many problems, so believe me we understand, keep on doing this so it will grow into a worldwide cause.
    Agustin cárdenas

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great article on perceptions coming from a lady that is non pakistani.It is wonderful, that someone cares and wishes to make it clear that we are not alone in this struggle for equality and peace. We welcome you dear Ms.Joana Ong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this blog about Mrs. Joana Ong and I confess that I'm not surprised at all. I know her since long time and I perfectly know her capabilities and her powerful approach and her sincere passion to the projects she supports.
    For me, her support it's the most trustworthy certification on the goodnes of this project and sure, the first step to success.
    I'm with U Joana.
    Keep supporting her, because, she'll never let u down.
    Good Luck.
    Eugenio Zappalà

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Strongly extend my entire Support, Tooth and Nail. Sultan Sheheryar Khan Marwat, Advocate Supreme Court of Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Aisha.
    Same thing happened with me. Same questions were raised in my mind and I got same answer from JOANA SAN. I really appreciate her thoughts and work for Pakistan. I have talked with her many times and I think that She has understood the main complexities of Pakistani Politics.
    I am planning a radio talk show about Women of Pakistan and it will be great honor and pleasure for me to have Joana on my radio Show.
    Ishtiaq Qureshi
    Station Manager
    Radio Voice of Kashmir Netowrk
    FM 105.4 Muzaffarabad, FM 105.6 Bagh and FM 105.8 Rawalakot, Azad Kashmir Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This lady Joana(ong)san is amazing. She should be applauded for her brave step. As i grown up reading novels of Jean P.sasson And Khaled Husseini about the brave ladies ,,,, i found Joana to be one a character that is living inspiration for everyone. As been very close to joana ,,, she had beared great hardships in life and serious circumstances but she fought with every hardship and difficulties with her beautiful smile. Her Inclination towards PTI was not strange,,, as she is a lady of character and straight path,,,when she came to know about the agenda of PTI and Imran Khan ,she didnt hesitate to join PTI and she is not proud for all of us, Her recent speech in Italy is a great piece of admiration,,, I recommend all PTI lovers to hear or read that speech. I will tell joana to post again that speech on her facebook profile. Being a lady she has had made a firm status in honourables of PTI. May her live long and God bless her.
    Dr.Yasir Bangash

    ReplyDelete