Thursday 8 December 2011

Home is where the heart is........

I love Pakistan. 
Its the country where i was born; 
where i grew up;
where i spent so many years with my family;
where i made friends with whom i shared my good and bad times;

where i fell ill from missing my dad when he went to karachi for a week;
where i was educated by the teachers i admired;
where i spent the evenings of 13th august glueing jhandian on a never ending thread;
where i stood on our house roof top to watch the F-16s on 7th september;
where i sat in front of the TV all night to watch election results;
where i cheered for our cricket team; 
where our "maulvi sahab" used to give a jumma khutba in his splendid voice;
where i bargained with khan baba over the price of a suit piece;
where i ate paratha rolls and masalay wali chhalli;
where eating halva puri on sundays was a must for me;
where i had my first and last PAAN and didnt know whether i was supposed to spit it out or swallow;
where i used to run to the door at the sound of walls icecream vendor;
where i watched my brothers flying kites on basant and ALWAYS failing miserably at beating the neighbours;
where i liked going to mehndi functions and hated barats;
where i tried over a hundred ECS chappals and bought just one;

where i spent eid chand raats looking for the right bangals and the best mehndi;
where the dhol wala group used to wake up everyone way before sehri time;
where i threw tantrums when my tailor got late in making my dress for eid day;
where my mom used to put food in my mouth when i refused to eat during exams because it wasted precious minutes;
where i cried for days when i gave a bad exam and kept picking out imaginary mistakes when i gave a perfect one;
where i taught students who probably didnt understand my lectures;
where i learned how to drive but could never drive;

I still remember a voice going deep into the winter nights..... "garam aanday";

Oh God; How i miss everything.
I miss Pakistan. I miss home.


Its where my heart lies.









2 comments:

  1. I still remember a voice going deep into the winter nights..... "garam aanday";
    enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  2. PakistanUnited23 May 2012 at 20:31

    You didn't writer the flavour of PAAN:)
    Where do you see F-16s on 7th september one day after the YOUM-e-Difah?

    ReplyDelete